Jan 14, 2010

Meet Kelvin

I wrote this blog back in November when my family began sponsoring Kelvin through Compassion International. I am now 3 weeks away from my Kenya trip with Compassion where I will get to meet Kelvin. I'm so excited I could bust!

Original post (November 11, 2009):

Today I sent Letter #1 to the Compassion child my family is now sponsoring.

Meet Kelvin:




I had about 5 lines to write my first message. Had much more to say than 5 lines would allow, but managed to squish it all in.

Kelvin is 8 years old. Trying to put into words our reasoning for sponsoring him is hard enough, much less trying to communicate those reasons to an 8 year old. I'm sure I made it harder than it needed to be.

How do I let him know that I really do love him? That I want my child to think of him as a member of our family? That he shared a birthday with my grandmother who used to read Bible stories to me and impacted me more than she will ever know (sad that I never told her before her dementia started.)

Found out a couple of months ago that I have the opportunity to go to Kenya with Compassion International through a partnership my office has with this amazing ministry. Chances are very high that I will get to meet Kelvin on that trip. It's the main reason we chose him. To say I'm excited is a gross understatement.

Here's the final product on my first letter to Kelvin...I have plenty of time to tell him much, much more. Excited to begin this journey with him.

Kelvin,

Matt and I are so excited to welcome you to our family! Our prayer is that we will grow closer to you through our letters, but more importantly, that you would grow closer to Jesus. It is because of Jesus that we sponsor you and love you very much. 
Your picture is up where we can always see it to remind us to pray for you. 
You are such a handsome young man!
We look forward to hearing from you, and watching you grow into an amazing young man. We believe in you!

Much Love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment